Thursday, January 10, 2013

Going long distance

For the past six months I have been training for a 10 mile paddle board race. Paddling was something I started about five years ago. When I moved back home that's when I started seeing all the races going on. 10 miles paddling in the open ocean is not easy. Lots of things can change out there. In the matter of a few mins it can go from calm and sunny to windy 3 foot water chop and really bad lightning storms.. For that reason I have not just been training in sunny weather. You can catch me at the beach 20knt winds and big chop.. This is also a great work out. Using your core stabilizer muscles the whole time can leave you very sore the next day. Since I have been training for this so intense I have found that my energy day to day, and my performance in the gym is much better.

Paddling is great for people trying to loose weight, or who want a light form of exercise. You don't have to go out in crazy conditions to get the benefits. A nice mile long paddle every day is really all you need. Make sure to wear SPF out there. Over the summer I got burned pretty bad. My problem was a quick paddle always turned into 3-4 hours on the water. I just traded in my cruising board for a brand new custom race board. Can't wait for my race next month. I'll keep you posted on how I do





I have posted a pic of one of my cruising days. On days like these my Boston terrier always comes along. As soon as I change into my swim suit she starts going bananas.. She might be small but man that dog is not afraid of anything!


1 comment: